background

Monday, August 8, 2011

My precious Mimi...

So I have been meaning to sit down and post this but have just put it off because it makes me sad.  I recently journeyed to Dallas to spend the weekend with my Dallas family to celebrate the amazing life of my Mimi, Betty Johnson, that ended too quickly after a hard fought, complicated battle with pneumonia. What a celebration it was!  There was a ban on black and we all wore our sparkeliest jewels and Mardi Gras beads...there were even coozies to commemorate the occasion.
For those of you who don't know my Dallas family, I met them at church in Atlanta when I was a sophomore in high school and we have been attached at the heart since. Mimi (Robbye's mom) was the matriarch of this clan and her husband, T Allan, or Pop as everyone calls him, is one of a kind! I had the greatest pleasure of nannying for Mike and Robbye's two precious pearls (girls), Jonnye and Michaley, on and off in high school and college.  The pearls were in my wedding and we have made a point to keep in touch and stay close.  Mike and I have a bond that is hard to describe so I won't attempt, and Robbye is like the older sister that I never had.  She is a mentor in every aspect of my life.  This weekend was bittersweet because the circle seemed complete with the 3rd Chasteen sister sitting in my pew.  I have know her a very long time but just had the pleasure of seeing her face to face....story for another blog!  I attribute a big part of who I am as a wife, mom, friend, and career woman to these special people and the impact that they have had on my life.
I often describe the Johnson/Chasteen family as my "extended" family but the more that I have thought about that recently "extended" does not really describe it.  Bonus is a much better word.  I have two wonderful grandmothers but somehow got blessed with a "Bonus" Mimi in this deal and I am so grateful to have had her even for the short period that she was a part of my life.  She was nothing like a grandma...I mean grandmas don't wear white bikinis....Mimis do!  She was such a beautiful lady inside and out and the text book definition of what a southern lady should be. I think one of her finest attributes was her ability to love so many people in such a big way.  She just got what it meant to love without limits and I know that her relationship with Christ taught her how to do so very gracefully.  I will always treasure my time spent with Mimi and know without a doubt that we will see each other again.  My heart aches for Pop, Robbye, Mike, Jonnye, Michaley, Lex and the whole Johnson crew.  Their grief is palpable, the kind of hurt that makes you want to throw up.  I look at Pop and his broken heart and can't help but be overwhelmed with emotion.  Those two had a love like no other, it is such an example of what a marriage should be.  I pray that he can find comfort and strength somehow, some way.  He is a man of incredible faith and I know that God will carry him through this difficult time.
 The weekend was hard but I kept feeling an overwhelming sense of gratitude that these are my people. It was such an honor to celebrate Mimi's life with them.
I do know this...Life is short and everyday counts because our timing and planning means nothing in God's perfect plan.  This weekend was a reminder to live like Mimi did and love like crazy!  I am making that my mission. I LOVE MY FAMILY!!!!
P.S.  When the day comes for me to see her again....I hope that there is a huge celebration with lots of  good champagne, cake, and beautiful flowers and that those who love me most sit around and have a wonderful time remembering my crazy life!

No comments:

Post a Comment